News Crime :The World or Me


By Laura M Schroeder

When I see frightening stories on the news or have experiences too close to home, I wonder "Is it just me, or is the world getting worse". When we experience a situation, time passes and we think we have moved on. Then, something will trigger a response in us that is uncomfortable.

I try not to watch the news on television because the daily reports of shootings make me nervous. I read the newspaper and do better with the written word. I have empathy for school children. These days, their safety can be uncertain. Teachers and staff remain dedicated.

We deal with crisis when we have to but need to carry on our lives. I've learned we don't have control but can make wise choices, learn to do things better and make the most of each day. I can't change my personality but am making a conscious effort to choose my spoken words. I don't mean just swearing but making the words count.

What if the words we spoke to a person, prevented them from hurting themselves or others. We are inspired by the words of those like Maya Angelou, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. There are others like these who made a huge difference in history.

I'm looking forward to the day I can retire and stay home but that time has not yet come. All I can do is pray and be at peace with those around me. There is a line from a song that says "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me". I also like the one from another that says "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways".

We can argue politics endlessly but there seems to be no turning back from the state we see today. The world does seem to be worse with violence but there were also times in history where the question would be "It's worse for who?". In every nation and time period one group has oppressed and murdered another. The difference now with weapons is that individuals, even youth, are wiping out multiple, unsuspecting groups within a matter of seconds.

Not everyone shares my faith in God but I will keep praying anyway. I have to. I want to enjoy my remaining days on this earth, free from fear. Please join me in that prayer. I want my grand-kids to grow up in safe schools. I hope you want the same for yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Article copyright

Itu semua terjadi karena Carson menabrak pohon

Itu semua terjadi karena Carson menabrak pohon (Ini adalah kisah kolaboratif dengan teman saya NabilaTheGreat InTheCorner, ini adalah kisah...