The Calling: A Story on Getting Through Fear for Life Fulfillment

One night, about 2:30am, I woke up. I was thinking of my late sister. She didn't know how wonderful she was. So sad, I had to write this story.

Many times in life, we have choices. For the right choice, we have to have our identity intact otherwise we're lost. We'll fail and that's OK. Great things in life requires challenges and, yes, failure. Taking the hard choice more often than not leads to self-worth, discovery, fulfillment and joy. Not doing so leads to many other things, and is usually an unfulfilling experience.

The Calling

For years there was comfort in my daily routine. I walked it each day, nice and easy. I knew every pot hole, embedded stone, tree, and bush along the path.

Off in the distance was the mountain, not a huge one. I only knew it as the mountain in the distance and it always caught my attention.

I'd pause, lean on my walking stick, and just stare, dream for a few moments at its wonder.

Sometimes it was full of color, surreal like a painting. Sometimes capped with snow framed in blue skies. Some days puffy clouds all around it as if a child had drawn them.

Often I imagined going to the mountain and having the experience of its wonder. What would it be like? I supposed me just a small part of something so magnificent.

Then my internal voice would say, no, too far, and my routine would pull me back to the path I knew so well. My comfortable path.

Over time I would pause longer each time I saw the mountain. I felt something strange. A sadness as I gazed at this wonderful mountain. I didn't understand. It was calling me. I wanted to go. But why was I so sad?

I thought about it and realized I was scared of leaving my well known path and it was making me sad, this fear, this calling of the mountain.

Everyday it called. "Come on, you belong here. Come, there is a place for you. Come."

I'd continue on my path. Sometimes in tears.

This sadness kept growing. It became unbearable to me.

One day as I walked my comfortable path, I reluctantly looked at the mountain.

My heart raced.

My breath was short.

I was scared.

It called me. I heard it loud and felt it in my whole being.

I dropped my walking stick and headed towards the mountain breathing hard with every step.

I crossed fields, went through old forest sometimes feeling lost. I kept going.

I fell a few times. Cut myself on brier bushes and sharp rocks. The mountain still there calling.

I started to climb. Easy at first in the foothills. Then it got steeper. Tougher to climb. Hugging onto the side of the mountain sometimes frozen with fear. The mountain said... climb!

I climbed. Fingers raw, and as I got closer to the top, I lost my fear, my sadness. I grew strong and made the last few steps.

The top of the mountain!

Blue sky.

Cool breeze.

Beautiful flowers wherever the rocks allowed them.

I spread my arms out like wings and imagined flying. Soaring like an eagle.

Off in the distance I saw more mountains. Calling. I answered with joy:

"We are one."

Robert Andres Cuadra: Executive Management, Leadership and Training. Retired Special Forces, Airborne & Ranger qualified Sergeant Major.

Writing Focus: Leadership & Success Principles in Career and Life. Ranger's Choice: Awareness ~ No-Nonsense ~ Focus


 By Robert Andres Cuadra


Article Source: The Calling: A Story on Getting Through Fear for Life Fulfillment

Itu semua terjadi karena Carson menabrak pohon

Itu semua terjadi karena Carson menabrak pohon (Ini adalah kisah kolaboratif dengan teman saya NabilaTheGreat InTheCorner, ini adalah kisah...